Friday, November 19, 2010

Junk Drawer clean up

This is one of those places that once you have an organized set-up, you just need a quick touch up once in awhile.

THE BEFORE: on the left is just after opening drawer, on the right, I pulled out some big items on top and the top tray in the organizer tray, so you can see how bad it was.
I pulled the entire drawer out and set it on a table, spreading out, I sorted out things that dont belong in this drawer, garbage and recycling.


one of the items that really didnt have another home, but didnt like to stay put in the junk drawer are the Activia yogurt Cups of Hope lids. (similar to Yoplait, they donate $0.10 to breast cancer research, but you enter a code online instead of mailing the lids in)

It occured to me that I didnt need to save the lids, just the codes. AND I just happended to have a Pink Ribbon Post-it pad in the drawer, and a pen, so I jotted down the codes and tossed the garbage in the garbage.

Everything that was going back in the drawer was organized with the cool little stickers (some were stuck from before, some were still on their backing and just placed under items in the organizer... Things that were better in other homes, bathroom, tool box, craft room, were evicted. Usually I would wipe down the drawer, and tray, but I only moved in about 3 months ago, and it simply didnt need that this time.

THE AFTERS:

I got the organizer tray at Wal-Mart years ago, but I found one at Organize-It dot com for 7.99

COST of Project: $FREE or $8 if you need the organizer. Before I got the organizer, I used ice cube trays, muffin tins, checkbook boxes and other varying sized boxes to corral items in the drawer. all at minimum cost.

ETA: this having been organized for a while now, I am LOVING it, so nice to be able to see everything, actually CLOSE and OPEN the drawer everytime. My husband can find things easily too!

I'm linking to We're Organized Wednesday at Organize and Decorate Everything

and to 21 Day Organization Challenge DAY ONE~ Junk Drawers at A Bowl Full of Lemons

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel good to get organized?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I had seen this before I cleaned mine. I love that tray! Thanks for including the price too, so budget conscious. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I did the same thing with those lids. I assumed they were send-ins like the Yoplait. ;)

    ReplyDelete